Be Kind For a Happier Mind
Positivity can be a rare thing to find, we have all met or know someone who’s a lively, bubbly and positive person, who always seems to have a smile on their face. Sometimes you wonder how they stay so positive, particularly when plans, exams or whatever the scenario, goes to shit!! These positive people are always the first to try boost our spirits and focus on the good things rather than the negative thoughts.
Over the past few years I’ve tried to be that person, to be the happiest and most positive version of myself. Although everything is not always plain sailing I find that having a positive mindset has really made me into a happier version of myself. I think that adapting your mindset to a more positive one can really boost your mental health, so here are a few of the things I do to try and stay in a positive state of mind.
1. Block out negativity - I know it sounds so obvious, but it’s the simplest thing you can do to keep a positive mindset. Misery loves company and if you find yourself getting dragged into a rabbit hole of, “god I hate the way I look, She’s being so rude, the weather is so shit or that guy nearly crashed into me” … the list goes on and on. Try to see the good in yourself, in others and in your day. Maybe the other person or thing that is bringing you down is doing so because of things out of their control. It’s very hard to understand what other people might be going through, so give them the benefit of the doubt and be grateful for what you have.
2. Read an empowering book - Try to find someone who inspires you or has an interesting story. It can give you a real boost and motivate you to go after the things you want. I’m currently reading ‘Becoming’, by Michelle Obama and WOW - that woman really is some woman!! I’m obsessing over this book right now.
3. Compliment others - This is a super easy way to lift someone's spirit as well as your own. Everyone likes receiving a little compliment every now and then so tell your friend - or a stranger how nice you think something about them is!
4. Surround yourself with good people - Positivity breathes positivity. Hang out with the people who encourage you, motivate you and push you to grow and work towards your goals. Many people’s dreams have been derailed and pushed back because of doubtful opinions and negative comments. Don’t let negative people distract you from your passion.
5. Finally, say YES more - An old cliché saying, but an important one - do more things that scare you. It’s so easy to stay in your comfort zone and do the things you have always done but I have found, doing the things that are scary and a bit out there are the times in your life when you meet the most interesting characters and like-minded people. If you don’t change anything, nothing will change. If you are 100% happy with your life right now then that's great for you - that’s a huge achievement and you have probably been saying yes to new things for a while now, but if you want things in your life to take a different turn, then you need to go out there and make some changes this year.
The things you want won’t come looking for you, if you don't’ at least go out there first and try find them.
This week I recommend for you to take one (or all) of the above and apply them to your life and see if you feel any different or notice a shift in your mood.
Thanks so much for reading. Tomorrow is a fresh, new page - go and do something exciting and forget about the things you regret doing, or not doing last week! :)
Bye for now!